The historical background to the current saline can be traced back to a wasteland in the field that were grown spices such as wheat, rye, barley and maize. This is little known, since Janubio begins to be configured as saline in 1895.
The creation of Las Salinas de Janubio began in 1895 with D. Vincent Lleó Benlliure, which the witness seat to his nephew D. Jaime Lleó Watch, which works with the family Sardinia and Don Ginés Díaz who continued development to complete in mid-1945.
At present, the family Padrón Lleó explodes activity interrumpidamente salt, work being done for over 50 years, never stop working and developing economic activity. Because of the decline of fisheries, competition with ice and salt abroad, production has dropped about 2000 tons unlike production at full capacity which stood at 10000 tons per year.
Currently, the fisheries sector is the one that nourishes the entire production and salt until until recently, factories, boats and other craft canary. Las Salinas of Janubio have always been linked to the fishing industry and of salting and preserved fish. Another sector they are engaged, is the conservation of the brine, for the conservation of fish on board vessels until it reaches a port.
Used also by the artisanal fishing fleet island and the tuna fleet Basque Country. Today is also marketed for the internal market of the island.