Next, in this tourist guide we will tell you everything you need to know to visit the island of Lanzarote.
General information and history of the island
Lanzarote is located at the northeasternmost point of the Canary archipelago. Hundreds of years ago, the island was formed by the collision of the continental tectonic plates of Africa and America, which caused volcanic eruptions. After many years, eruptions and solidification of lava, Lanzarote as we know it today was formed.
The last major eruption occurred between 1730 and 1736 that originated what we know today as the Timanfaya National Park.
The island is 60 kilometers from north to south and 25 kilometers from east to west. It has more than 213 kilometers of coastline, of which 16.5 are beaches.
Why visit Lanzarote?
In this guide to Lanzarote we will give you 5 reasons to visit the island.
- Its eternal sun: if you want to benefit from vitamin Dat any time of the year, Lanzarote is your island. Enjoying all the activities it offers under its eternal sun is such a joy.
- Otherworldly landscapes: due to its volcanic history, Lanzarote has many different landscapes,landscapes taken from planets like Mars or the Moon itself. That is why many even want to shoot their films and advertising spots here. A unique setting!
- Unique beaches: do not stay alone with white sand beaches and crystal-clear waters, Lanzarote offers beaches and waters of all colors. You won’t think you’re on the same island with every new beach and natural scenery you discover.
- The culture of wine: Lanzarote becomes an important center of viticulture due to how special its terrain is. This, being of volcanic character, offers unique particularitiesthat makes its wine very special. Wine tourism settles in Lanzarote so as not to leave.
- Art and nature: César Manrique, local artist, together with the beauty of the island, has achieved that Lanzarote hasa unique personality recognized for the values of recycling, conservation and care of the biosphere.
Tips for your visit to Lanzarote
In this guide we offer you the best tips to visit Lanzarote.
The first recommendation we give you in this guide is that you organize your trip in advance to avoid last minute surprises. To do this, before arriving in Lanzarote, you can see what are the schedules of the places you want to visit, the price, make sure you take a car to tour the island and write down everything you want to do on the days you are there.
Choosing your best accommodation option
There are different areas to choose from where to stay on the island. If you are looking for a family plan, the Playa Blanca area is full of resorts and is perfect for relaxing. If you are looking to explore the island, we recommend the area of Costa Teguise, a growing place north of the capital.
For a coastal and quiet environment, the area of Punta Mujeres; and if you prefer to live the nightlife, Puerto del Carmen is the best area.
Regardless of where you choose to stay, keep in mind that the island is covered in an hour, so you can move to the point you want with ease.
Visit the most famous places
You cannot leave the island without visiting some of the most famous places, such as the Timanfaya National Park, the Mirador del Río, Teguise, the Cueva de los Verdes, Los Hervideros, the island of La Graciosa or the beach of Punta Papagayo.
There are many places to visit in Lanzarote, so a guide is essential so you do not miss anything.
Do one of its many sports or cultural activities
The good conditions of the island offer the possibility of practicing all types of outdoor sports, such as surfing, biking, windsurfing, triathlon, diving or running, among others.
If you prefer cultural activities, you can visit the museums of the island: César Manrique Foundation, Wine Museum, Lagomar Museum or the famous Atlantic Museum in Playa Blanca.
From Lanzarote Blog we hope that this Lanzarote tourist guide will help you organize your next trip.