Origin of the Rancho Canario
The Rancho Canario has a humble origin, like so many other stews of the gastronomy of the archipelago. Its preparation in homes dates back to times of famine, when it was cooked with what each family had in the pantry.
This stew owes its name to the mixture of ingredients it carries, although the preparation has changed over time and today it is possible to find different variants of this nutritious dish.
In addition, it is a meal that is made in large quantities and, in many cases, is prepared from one day to the next so that the texture thickens more and the flavors are more intense at the time of consumption.
The recipe of the Rancho Canario has influences from other places but, when made with the products and native raw materials, it is one of the most characteristic dishes of the cultural identity of the Canary Islands.
Ingredients of the Rancho Canario
As we have said, the ingredients may vary depending on the area of the archipelago in which this dish is consumed. But the recipe of the traditional Rancho Canario of this dish, which is halfway between soup and stew, includes the following ingredients::
- Pork rib
- Sweet paprika
Although these are the main ingredients, there are different variants of the Rancho Canario recipe. For example, in Gran Canaria chickpeas are replaced by beans.
As for the quantities, it will depend on the number of diners. Although, as we have already said, large quantities of this stew are usually made so that they can eat enough people and even have for several days.
Elaboration of the Rancho Canario
Preparing the recipe for the Rancho Canario in the traditional style means dedicating time to it because this dish is simmered. But it’s well worth it! Follow these steps to make it:
- Chop the onion, garlic and tomato.
- Sauté those ingredients in a saucepan.
- While the sauté is getting ready, cut the meat into pieces (both pork ribs and chorizo).
- Add the meat into the saucepan and sauté until it gets golden brown.
- Add the water and a few strands of saffron.
- Put everything to simmer.
- From time to time remove the foam that forms on top.
- After one hour, add the chickpeas (you should soak them the day before for 24h).
- Let cook for an hour and a half more.
- Add the potatoes cut into pieces.
- Let cook another thirty minutes.
- If necessary, you can add a little water, although calculate well because this type of stew has to have a rather thick broth.
- Add the noodles and let them cook for about four to eight minutes, depending on their thickness.
And that’s it! It is very simple, although you have to dedicate time so that it has the right flavor. There are people who cook it by parts during two days so that it has even more intense taste.
When serving, you just have to put it in deep dishes and make sure that all the ingredients can be seen. It is quite laborious but surely the guests will love it when they see it on the table. You can do it at home whenever you want and, if you visit Lanzarote, you have to try it!