At the Timanfaya Volcanoes Natural Park’s doorstep, Tías is the perfect starting point for all nature lovers who want to experience Lanzarote’s wildest landscape. But those looking for marine experiences will also find it easy, as Puerto del Carmen, one of the most touristic areas of the coast, is only a ten minute drive away.
Where is Tías?
Tías is a Spanish municipality located in the midsouth of Lanzarote, in the Canary Islands. The territory of Tías, on the Atlantic coast, borders with Yaiza, San Bartolome and Tinajo. It is less than 12km from Arrecife, the capital of Lanzarote.
What to see in Tías
Tías is packed full of character and quirks that are well worth a visit. Some of the most touristic spots are:
- La Candelaria church: this 18th Century shrine is one of Tías’ most iconic buildings. With a striking bell tower, this church is one of the municipality’s main attractions.
- José Saramago’s House: if you want to see where the Portuguese author lived, you must see his house-library. If you want, you can also go in for a guided tour.
- La Geria: without doubt, one of the most impressive landscapes on the island of Lanzarote. It famous wines have led more and more people to visit La Geria to enjoy the original wines that are grown so uniquely in this part of the island.
- Puerto del Carmen: one of the island’s most touristic spots where you can find restaurants, shops, pubs, and luxury hotels.
- Tías’ Towns: the municipality is split into several picturesque towns with wonderful traditional buildings to admire such as those in Tegoyo, Masdache, and Conil.
Enjoy in Tías
The best food in Tías
The municipality and the coastline of Tías is home to a wealth of tourist spots and maritime traditions. That is why the area’s cuisine is known for its simple recipes that use high quality local produce.
Of course, in Tías it is custom to accompany any meal with a delicious local wine. In terms of specialities, grilled fish, el mojo, and traditional pork stew are the most common typical dishes.
Shopping in Tías
If you want to go shopping in Tías, you can visit the Tías open shopping district or head to the Biosfera Plaza, which is a large shopping centre where you can find the season’s latest trends.
Climate in Tías
In general the climate is Tías is a desert climate, so there is not much rain, and the average year-round temperature is about 19ºC.
Local fests in Tías
Although some of the fests celebrated in Tías are also held in other parts of the island, some of the featured fests are:
- Ntra. Sra. de La Candelaria – 2nd February –Tías
- San Blas – 3rd February – Tías
- Day of the Canary Islands – 30th May – Canaria, a day to celebrate
- the autonomous community of the Canary Islands.
- San Antonio – 13th June – Tías
- San Juan – 24th June – Puerto del Carmen
- San Pedro – 29th June – Mácher
- Nuestra Señora de la Magdalena – 22nd July – Masdache
- Maria Magdalena y Sagrado Corazón de Jesús – 22nd July – Conil
- Nuestra Sra. del Carmen – First week of August – Puerto del Carmen
- Nuestra Sra. de Los Dolores – 15th September – Island Fest
How to get to Tías
YOU MIGHT BE INTERESTED ...
Discover Lanzarote’s unique flavours at the Saborea Lanzarote gastronomy festival
Lanzarote, a wine-producing island par excellence, offers a host of culinary attractions to both locals and visitors. And one event that combines the island’s cuisine with its wine is the Saborea Lanzarote (Tasting Lanzarote) festival which this year is celebrating its 10th anniversary.
Discover Lanzarote’s Wonderful Wine Region: La Geria
Among the many attractions that Lanzarote has to offer is La Geria. Uniquely situated, it is an area that combines a majestic volcanic landscape with the delicacy of its vineyards. In this article, we will explore this amazing place in detail, looking at its location and the geographical and geological features that make it so special. We will discover how wine is grown in the middle of this inhospitable terrain and we will reveal which are the most outstanding varieties of wine produced here. We will also explore the main tourist attractions that La Geria has to offer and the activities you can enjoy here.
Sonidos Líquidos Lanzarote: A unique festival in the heart of the Canary Islands that fuses music and wine
If you are a lover of good food and music, you will have to visit the Sonidos Líquidos Festival in Lanzarote. It is an EFFE event that brings together great national and international bands. Set amongst vineyards and volcanoes, the festival’s location in La Geria is unbeatable.
No preferences selected, enter here