Popular festivities in Lanzarote in February
It goes without saying that Lanzarote is full of the carnival spirit in February. It is one of the most eagerly awaited festivities and the most important of the year for many towns.
The most highlighted carnival festivities of Lanzarote in February are those of Arrecife, the capital city, with its masquerade festival and massive outdoor festivities, and its Carnival Queen, Drag Queen, murgas, and comparsas competitions.
In addition, in February in Lanzarote, some important patron saint festivities are celebrated:
- The Virgin of Candelaria (Nuestra Señora de la Candelaria), on the 2nd of February in Tabayesco (Haría) and Tías.
- Our Lady of Lourdes (Nuestra Señora de Lourdes), on the Sunday closest to the 11th of February in Guinate (Haría).
What is the weather like in Lanzarote in February?
February is one of the coldest months in Lanzarote, but that doesn’t mean that the weather will be bad!
The climate on the island is also very pleasant at this time of the year, with occasional rain in some areas, but no heavy rainfall. At most, you can find some cloudy days, but nothing to stop you from enjoying a pleasant holiday in Lanzarote.
What is the temperature in Lanzarote in February?
The average temperature in February in Lanzarote is around 19ºC. The minimums are around 13ºC and the maximum around 22ºC, so it is an excellent moment to go on excursions around the island and discover amazing landscapes. Is it a bad time to swim in the Atlantic? That depends on how brave you are!
What to wear in Lanzarote in February?
February in Lanzarote offers a mild and pleasant climate, but we shouldn’t forget that, after all, it is the middle of winter. For this reason, to enjoy your stay on the island during these months without surprises, it is advisable to pack your suitcase with:
- Light clothing, such as T-shirts, shorts, and dresses.
- Swimsuits, as you can still enjoy the beaches.
- A jacket or some long-sleeved cloth for the cooler evenings.
And, of course, don’t forget sunscreen and sunglasses, because the sun is still strong, and, if you go swimming or on an excursion around the island, they are essential elements.
The events you cannot miss if you visit the island in February
Of course, Carnival is the main event you can enjoy in Lanzarote in February but you can also write down on your agenda other interesting activities that will allow you to organise your holiday on the island with numerous plans:
- The iQFOIL Sailing World Championships 2024, which will be a new Olympic windsurfing modality in Paris 2024, will take place in Lanzarote between the 26th of January and the 3rd of February 2024, an event you cannot miss if you are a sports enthusiast. It’s a spectacle!
- The International Music Festival of the Canary Islands (FIMC) celebrates its 40th anniversary between the 10th of January and the 9th of February 2024. There are performances all over the archipelago, including the island of Lanzarote, which will host a variety of shows in the Jameos del Agua Auditorium, in the ‘El Salinero’ theatre, and in the Municipal Theatre of Tías.
As you can see, you have plenty of incentives to make your getaway to Lanzarote full of activities and cultural, sports, and leisure plans. February is undoubtedly an ideal month to enjoy the island and some of its most important traditions, such as the Carnival, with fun festivities in many municipalities.