Arrecife is the capital of Lanzarote and is a city that is home to one of the Canary Islands’ most impressive marinas. It is the perfect place to enjoy a relaxing evening on the island or to shop for local products, it is also a wonderful place for those interested in discovering the seafaring past of the capital’s centre. Don’t miss out!
Where is Arrecife?
Arrecife can be found on the east of the island of Lanzarote, it is a coastal city and the island’s capital. It is just 8 minutes from the airport, barely 5 km. Here you can find the Los Mármoles port, one of the busiest cruise ship terminals in the Canary Islands. It also has routes connected to Tenerife, Gran Canaria, and Cadiz.
What to see in Arrecife?
- Charco de San Ginés: Charco is one of the best spots in Arrecife, with views over the marina and the San Ginés Church. Historically it was an inlet for seawater and was a hub for local fishermen. This was the city’s main economic source until the increase in tourism. It is now an entertainment and leisure spot.
- Playa del Reducto: This is a city beach with calm waters and golden sand. Its avenue is the perfect place for a stroll or for a relaxing break in any of its stunning terrace bars. If you would prefer to try out some of the sporting activities on offer, it is the ideal place to enjoy a kayak or paddleboard excursion.
- San Gabriel Castle and Las Bolas bridge: The castle was an old fort in Arrecife and is now home to a fantastic museum telling the city’s history. The islet where the castle is located is connected to the city via the Las Bolas bridge.
- San José Castle: Nowadays the home of the MIAC (the International Contemporary Art Museum), this is a must-see for art fans.
- CIC El Almacén: This is a meeting place for the island’s cultural afficionados. Created by César Manrique, this cultural innovation centre is always hosting talks, cinema screenings, exhibitions and many other of the island’s artistic creations.
Our recommendations in Arrecife
The best food in Arrecife
Arrecife has a fantastic food scene for all tastes and ages. It has a wide range of cuisines: ranging from typical Canary Island dishes to Japanese, Italian or fusion food. Charco de San Ginés, the avenue or the Marina are the most popular areas among tourists when it comes to lunches and dinners.
Shopping in Arrecife
The best shopping district in the capital can be found at Calle Real and its surrounding streets. This area, just a stone’s throw away from Charco de San Ginés and the Las Bolas bridge is the place of choice for many Lanzarote locals to enjoy a morning of shopping. There is also a market held every Saturday where you can find a wide range of products, including textiles, crafts, and local food produce.
Climate in Arrecife
During most of the year, the weather in Arrecife is known for clear skies and mild temperatures ranging between 15 °C and 28 °C approximately. Summers are humid and hot at the same time, with June to September being the best months for outdoor and watersports activities. Winters are cooler with mild temperatures and windy weather.
Local fests in Arrecife
The fest to honour the patron saint of Arrecife is one of the most important festivals on the island. The San Ginés fest takes over the city from mid-August until the 25th, ending with a firework show enjoyed by Lanzarote locals at the Playa del Reducto. There are also plenty of activities for kids and adults alike.
If you are visiting the island at another time of the year, the capital is home to plenty of nightlife spots both in Charco de San Ginés and at the Arrecife Marina where there are plenty of bars and pubs to enjoy a dinner and have a fun time with friends.
How to get to Arrecife
Open Water Lanzarote
The Sailfish Lanzarote Open Water, popularly known as Open Water Lanzarote, is a swimming event open to the public, both professional and amateur, which every year arouses a great expectation on the island. Do you want to know what it is and how to participate? We’ll tell you everything!
Ocean Lava Lanzarote: the triathlon that combines passion, nature, and challenge
One of the sporting competitions that attracts more fans to the island is Ocean Lava Lanzarote, a triathlon that gathers hundreds of participants each year. Are you up for the challenge?
Marathon Lanzarote: A journey from its origins to the finish line through unique landscapes
A new edition of Lanzarote International Marathon is approaching, an event that attracts more and more sports enthusiasts. The 31st Marathon Lanzarote takes place on the 2nd of December 2023, in a unique atmosphere and with succulent prizes waiting at the finish line.
No preferences selected, enter here